We offer comprehensive diagnoses and treatments for a variety of skin, hair and nail conditions, including skin cancer, acne, psoriasis, eczema and growths. We use the latest technology and great skill to improve the health of your skin.
- Hair Loss (Alopecia) Treatments
- Melanoma Treatment
- Melasma Treatment
- Mohs Micrographic Surgery
- Nail Fungus Treatment
- Pediatric Dermatology
- Removing Facial Spider Veins
- Removing Facial Veins
- Removing Vascular Lesions
- Rosacea Treatment
- Total Body Photography
- Vitiligo Treatment
- Vein Treatments
- Skin Cancer
- Skin Discoloration
Serving Alpharetta, Buckhead, East Cobb, Midtown, and the surrounding areas of Atlanta and Marietta, Dermatology Affiliates offers medical dermatology procedures to those who desire healthy and beautiful skin with the assistance of a board-certified dermatologist. The skin is the body’s largest organ so it is vital to your health that you take care of it. Not all skin problems are serious, but some are indicators of other significant health problems. It is important to have a board-certified dermatologist assess any skin, hair, or nail problem of immediate concern.
What is Medical Dermatology?
Medical dermatology focuses on the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of skin, nail, and hair diseases. This branch of medicine also focuses on the prevention and treatment of skin cancers.
Medical Dermatology—Your Skin
The skin is a complex organ, made up of many layers, and responsible for guarding underlying muscles and organs. The skin’s thickness is a mere 1 mm at birth and increases to 1cm by adulthood. As we age the process reverses with gradual thinning of the skin. Thinner skin is more sensitive and easily damaged by the sun and other factors. The skin’s functions include:
- Protection: The skin’s primary job is insulation and protection of the body from foreign substances such as bacteria. The skin guards against dehydration and the dangers of ultraviolet light.
- Purification: The skin purifies the system by eliminating fluid through perspiration. It also stores fat and water. The skin is also involved in the body’s manufacture of Vitamin D.
- Regulation: The skin assists in control of body temperature. The skin’s fine-tuning of heat insulation works like a thermostat to prevent the body from overheating or over-cooling.
- Sensory: Skin responds to five different types of stimulation, including touch, pain, pressure, cold, and heat.
The skin is remarkably resilient. After injury, the skin typically returns to its prior shape. The skin is often impervious to significant trauma and often avoids permanent damage. When the individual experiences regular or consistent skin trauma, skin issues may result. Dermatologists are specialized medical experts that treat and resolve skin problems.
Medical Dermatology Treatment
Seeking medical help from one of our board-certified dermatologists is the first step toward healthier skin. Call our office and arrange a convenient consultation appointment. One of our dermatologists will examine your skin and evaluate your area of concern. Skin, hair, and nail disorders are frequently treated with topical creams or gels, oral medicines, lasers, and light therapies. Each patient’s needs are unique. We make treatment recommendations that produce results for each individual and his or her health goals.
What Do I Need to Begin?
Start by making an initial consultation appointment to identify and discuss your concerns. You may call the office or go online to schedule an appointment. The board-certified dermatologists and staff at Dermatology Associates provide personalized, customized care for medical dermatology patients, using the most advanced medical dermatology techniques and technologies. We help our patients to achieve optimal skin health and restore their self-confidence. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.